Landfill Communities Fund (LCF) projects focus upon community or environmental physical work at a single identified site in the vicinity of a landfill site. There are five main areas of work that can be undertaken when utilising LCF monies - these are called the 'objects'.

We assess your application before any work takes place to ensure your project qualifies for LCF funding. To be approved, the objective of your project must be actual physical works at an identified site in England, Northern Ireland or Wales.

Only enrolled Environmental Bodies (EBs) can register a project. EBs can apply to register their projects on ENTRUST online (EOL). EOL is a facility that enables you to manage and monitor all of your project registrations electronically. EOL is a quick and easy way for you to manage your project applications and complete all of your statutory requirements under the Landfill Tax Regulations 1996 (Regulations). We encourage all EBs to use EOL rather than paper and the postal service as it can speed up the process for both you and your projects.

There is no project registration fee.

When you submit your project application we will assess it to ensure your project meets the criteria in the Regulations. Work can only take place, and LCF money spent, once the project has been approved. All work and LCF expenditure must take place between the start and end dates approved for your project.

The LCF is no longer available to fund projects in Scotland. For enquiries about the new Scottish Landfill Communities Fund (SLCF) or more information on the SLCF please contact the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA).



Q. How do I find LCF funding?


There are two methods of receiving funding through the Landfill Communities Fund (LCF);

  • From an organisation that distributes the monies on a landfill operator's behalf (a distributive Environmental Body); or
  • Directly from a Landfill Operator (LO) based in England, Northern Ireland or Wales.

You can use our funders search to find a list of EBs who may fund in your area. 

Q. When should my project be registered with ENTRUST?


You should register your project once you have secured funding from a Landfill Operator (LO) or another Environmental Body (EB). Keep in mind any deadlines given to you by the fund provider before registering your project with us. The project must be registered before any work starts or any funds are spent.

Q. How long does it take to enrol as an Environmental Body (EB) and register my projects?


We will usually enrol organisations and approve their projects within five working days of a complete application being made with all the correct information provided to us at the point of application.

Q. I’m not sure whether my project idea is eligible to receive funding from the Landfill Communities Fund (LCF). How do I find out?


Projects can be registered in England, Northern Ireland or Wales. Have a look at the Objects page to see if your project idea fits with any of the areas that are eligible for funding. If you need further information contact our Registrations team and we will advise you whether your project is eligible or not.

Q. Where can I find a list of people who will fund the project I wish to undertake?


Within the Landfill Communities Fund (LCF) there are two types of organisation that can fund a project. These are Environmental Bodies (EBs) who distribute funds on behalf of Landfill Operators (LOs) and LOs themselves . You can see funders in your area through our funders search. Just tick the 'funders only' box and select your filters. The list of registered landfill operators is available from the HM Revenue and Customs Website.

Q. Can I start a project as soon as I have enrolled?


All projects must be approved by your fund provider and approved by us before any Landfill Communities Fund (LCF) money can be spent or works carried out.

Q. What should I do if my project changes after I have submitted it to you for approval?


Let your funding provider know of any changes and contact our registrations team to inform them of any changes to your project application as soon as possible. Changes to your project will need to be agreed by your funding provider and then by us before you can continue.

Q. My project includes money for a member of staff; do I need to include anything else?


Yes, you will need to provide a job description as part of your project application if any funds for your project cover salary costs. Not all types of salary costs or project workers are eligible for LCF funding.

Q. What should I do if my enrolment/project has been initially refused?


If you have an enrolment or project that has been refused, you are welcome to make representations to the Review Panel either in the form of correspondence sent to us before the meeting or in person on the day. Details of how this can be done should be discussed with us in advance of the meeting.

Q. How do I ensure my refused enrolment/project will be reviewed by the Review Panel?


All enrolments and projects that are refused will be reviewed by the Panel as a matter of course. The details of when this Panel is due to sit will be detailed on your initial refusal letter.

Register to use ENTRUST Online (EOL)

As a user of EOL you can enrol as an Environmental Body (EB), register projects and return your forms online.

Register Now