About landfill tax
Tax on landfill waste was introduced in 1996 as a means to reduce the amount of land-filled waste and to promote a shift to more environmentally sustainable methods of waste management.
The Landfill Communities Fund (LCF)
This innovative tax credit scheme enables operators of landfill sites to contribute money to enrolled Environmental Bodies (EBs) to carry out projects that meet environmental objects contained in the Landfill Tax Regulations.
The Government saw the LCF as a way for Landfill Operators (LOs) and EBs to work in partnership to create significant environmental benefits and jobs and to undertake projects which improve the lives of communities living near landfill sites.
LOs can contribute up to 5.6% of their landfill tax liability to EBs, and reclaim 90% of this contribution as a tax credit. They may bear the remaining 10% themselves, or else an independent third party can make up this 10% difference to the LO.